- Postdoctoral Researcher in the Department of Media at Aalto University, Finland
January 2017 to present
- Research Data Management Group, Aalto University. Support the Data Management of Media Department
October 2017 to present
Education and degrees awarded
- Ph.D. in Literary Studies, the Faculty of Humanities, the University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn, Poland. Ph.D. thesis: “Literature and New Media. Theory and Practice” (with honors).
Graduation date: July 2016
- Bachelor’s Degree in Polish Philology at the University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn, Poland.
Graduation date: June 2012
- Master’s Degree in Journalism and Social Communication at the University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn, Poland.
Graduation date: June 2011
- Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Social Communication at the University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn, Poland.
Graduation date: June 2009
Training & qualifications
- Sensitive Research Data Management workshop organized by the Research Data Alliance (RDA) Finland and CSC – IT Center for Science, Finland (25 April 2019)
- UCLA DH Workshop on digital humanities infrastructure and cultural heritage modelling at the Helsinki Centre for Digital Humanities of the University of Helsinki (7-8 November 2018)
- “Embedding Openness to Science & Scholarship”, training on Open Science and Data Action Plan for Finnish Research Community, University of Helsinki (14 March 2018)
- Postgraduate Course “Teaching Credentials” at the University of Social Sciences in Lodz, Poland (October 2017 – December 2018)
- Postgraduate Course “Teaching Polish as a Foreign Language” at the Polonicum Centre of Polish Language and Culture for Foreigners, the University of Warsaw, Poland (October 2013 – June 2014)
- Fulbright Pre-Academic Intensive English Program at the Applied English Center at the University of Kansas, US (June – August 2014)
- “Electronic Literature in the Digital Humanities” course at the Digital Humanities Summer Institute (DHSI) at the University of Victoria, Canada (2-6 June 2014)
- Liberal Arts and Natural Sciences at the University of Birmingham, UK. Funding: Vanguard Fellowship of the Institute of Advanced Studies, Autumn 2019, at the University of Birmingham, UK (20 October – 24 November 2019)
- Department of Digital Humanities at King’s College London, UK. Funding: Willard McCarty Fellowship 2018/2019 of the Department of Digital Humanities at King’s College London, UK (12-26 May 2019)
- Department of English at Stony Brook University, New York, US. Funding: University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn, Poland (18 August 2015 – 31 January 2016)
- Electronic Literature Lab, Creative Media & Digital Culture Program at the Washington State University Vancouver, WA, US. Funding: Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program 2014/2015, US (13 August 2014 – 15 February 2015)
- Lecturer at the University of Warsaw, Poland. Main activities: Teaching at the postgraduate “Studies of Writing Techniques and Presentation of Literary Text” in the Institute of Polish Literature (February – June 2015)
- Collaborator in the research project: “Digital Text. Issues of Semiotics, Semantics, and Digital Communication”, funded by National Science Centre in Krakow and run at the Faculty of Polish Studies at the University of Warsaw, Poland. (October 2012 – June 2015)
Awards & fellowships
- IAS Vanguard Fellowship (Autumn 2019) awarded by the Institute of Advanced Studies at the University of Birmingham. Host: Liberal Arts and Natural Sciences at the University of Birmingham, UK
- Willard McCarty Fellowship 2018/2019 awarded and hosted by the Department of Digital Humanities at King’s College London, UK
- Fulbright Junior Research Award 2014/2015 awarded by the Polish-American Fulbright Commission, Poland. Host: Creative Media & Digital Culture Program at Washington State University Vancouver, WA, US
- PhD Students Mobility Program MOST 2012/2013 awarded by the University Accreditation Commission (UAC) in Poland. Host: The Faculty of Polish Studies at the University of Warsaw, Poland
- American Comparative Literature Association (ACLA) Travel Grant for the Annual Meeting at Harvard University, Cambridge, US (17-20 March 2016)
- DHSI Bursary: Digital Humanities Summer Institute at the University of Victoria, Canada (2-6 June 2014)
- Travel grant from the University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn for attending ELO 2013 “Chercher le Texte: Locating the Text in Electronic Literature” conference, organized by Electronic Literature Organization (ELO) in Paris, France
- Department of Media at Aalto University; teaching “What is an ontology?” class within the “Systems of Representation” course (MA/PhD students; in English), Spring 2019.
- Institute of Polish Literature at the University of Warsaw; teaching “Genres of Digital Literature” course at the postgraduate “Studies of Writing Techniques and Presentation of Literary Text” (Postgraduate students; in Polish), Spring 2015
- Faculty of Polish Studies at the University of Warsaw; co-teaching courses: “Comparative Media Studies”, “Poetics and Comparative Semiotics”, and “Comparative Analysis” (BA/MA students; in Polish), Autumn 2012 – Spring 2013
- Polish Philology Department at the University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn; teaching courses: “Literature and Popular Culture”, “Literature and New Media”, and “Literature in the Internet” (BA/MA students; in Polish), Autumn 2011 – Spring 2015
Other academic merits
- Editor, Digital Humanities Quarterly special issue: “Lab and Slack. Situated Research Practices in Digital Humanities” (Forthcoming)
- Member of Global Outlook::Digital Humanities (GO::DH) Translation Board, Alliance of Digital Humanities Organizations (ADHO) (From June 2019 – present)
- Reviewer, Digital Humanities Quarterly, ADHO (May 2019 to present)
- Coordinator of the development of Research Catalogue, an international database for artistic research, at Aalto University, Finland (From November 2018 – present)
- Reviewer, Local Scientific Committee of Hybrid Labs Symposium at Aalto University (March – April 2018)
- U. Pawlicka-Deger, “A Laboratory as Critical Infrastructure in the Humanities”. The Department of Digital Humanities, King’s College London, UK (23 May 2019)
- U. Pawlicka-Deger and M. Oiva, “Lab and Slack. Situated Research Practices in Digital Humanities”. Digital Humanities Research Seminar at the Helsinki Centre for Digital Humanities (Heldig), University of Helsinki (04 April 2019)
- U. Pawlicka, “Mapping the Humanities and Media Labs”, “DH Aalto” seminar in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Aalto University (07 February 2018)
- U. Pawlicka, “The Laboratory Turn in the Humanities”. The Department of Media, Aalto University (03 October 2017)
- U. Pawlicka, “Visualizing Electronic Literature Collections”. Digital Humanities Research Seminar at the Helsinki Centre for Digital Humanities, the University of Helsinki (10 February 2017)
- U. Pawlicka, “The Periodization of Theory of Electronic Literature”, the Creative Media and Digital Culture, Washington State University Vancouver WA, U.S. (4 February 2015)
Conference presentations (selected)
- U. Pawlicka-Deger, “Mapping a History of the Humanities and Media Labs”, Global Digital Humanities Symposium, Michigan State University, U.S. (21-22 March 2019)
- U. Pawlicka, “The Emergence of Laboratories in the Humanities: Impetus, Implementation, and Impact”, the Society for the History of the Humanities’ Annual Meeting “The Making of the Humanities VI”, University of Oxford, Somerville College, UK. (28 – 30 September 2017)
- U. Pawlicka, “(Digital) Humanities Labs in Non-Western Contexts”, Global Digital Humanities Workshop, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland (29 – 30 May 2017)
- U. Pawlicka, “Bringing Categories From Science into Humanities Practice: The Implications for the Public Humanities”, the American Comparative Literature Association’s Annual Meeting, Harvard University, Cambridge, U.S. Seminar: ”Public Humanities in the Digital Age” (17 – 20 March 2016)
- U. Pawlicka, “Literary Margins and Non-Marginal Changes. Electronic Literature, Intermediation and Perceptual Changes”, International Conference “Literary Margins and Digital Media”, the Academia Europaea Knowledge Hub Wroclaw and the University of Wroclaw, Wroclaw, Poland (15 – 17 April 2015)
- U. Pawlicka, “Literature and New Media. Transdisciplinary Research”, Polish Congress of Language Teaching, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland (23 – 28 November 2013)
Scholarly publications (selected)
- U. Pawlicka-Deger, Laboratory: A New Space in Digital Humanities, in: Debates in the Digital Humanities. Institutions, Infrastructures at the Interstices, ed. A. McGrail, et al., Univ of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis [forthcoming]
- U. Pawlicka-Deger, Electronic Literature: Definition, History and Theories, in: Electronic Literature: Contexts, Forms, and Practices, ed. D. Grigar and J. O’Sullivan, Bloomsbury, London [forthcoming]
- U. Pawlicka, Data, Collaboration, Laboratory: Bringing Concepts from Science into Humanities Practice, “English Studies” 98.5 (2017): 526-541. Doi: 10.1080/0013838X.2017.1332022.
- U. Pawlicka, Literatura cyfrowa. W stronę podejścia procesualnego [Electronic Literature: Towards Processual Approach], Katedra, Gdańsk 2017, p. 342.
- U. Pawlicka, Humanistyka: pracownia, centrum czy laboratorium? [The Humanities: Office, Centre or Laboratory?], “Teksty Drugie” 1 (2017): 314-333.
- U. Pawlicka, Visualizing Electronic Literature Collections, “CLCWeb: Comparative Literature and Culture” 18.1 (2016): http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/clcweb/vol18/iss1/3/.
- U. Pawlicka, Digital Literature. Current State of Research in Poland, “Teksty Drugie” 2 (2016): 242-261.
- U. Pawlicka, Towards a History of Electronic Literature, “CLCWeb: Comparative Literature and Culture” 16.5 (2014): http://dx.doi.org/10.7771/1481-4374.2619.
- The Europeana Network Association
- Global Outlook::Digital Humanities
- Electronic Literature Organization
Digital literary art project Oczy tygrysa (Eyes of the Tiger). Adaptation of Formist Tytus Czyzewski’s poetry, 2012: http://ha.art.pl/czyzewski/. The project has been included in the Electronic Literature Collection vol. 3 (2016): http://collection.eliterature.org/3/work.html?work=oczy-tygrysa.
Mother Tongue: Polish
Other Language: English (fluent), German (beginner), Turkish (beginner)
Interests and activities
Digital media, digital humanities, open science, contemporary literature, feminism, politics, higher education, Turkish language, landscape photography, travelling