- Postdoctoral Researcher in the Department of Media at Aalto University, Finland. Supervisor: Prof. Lily Diaz-Kommonen
January 2017 – December 2018
- Research Data Management Group, Aalto University. Support the Data Management of Media Department
October 2017 – December 2018
Education and degrees awarded
- Ph.D. in Literary Studies, the Faculty of Humanities, the University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn, Poland. Ph.D. thesis: “Literature and New Media. Theory and Practice” (with honors). Supervisor: Prof. Sławomir Buryła.
Graduation date: July 2016
- Bachelor’s Degree in Polish Philology at the University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn, Poland.
Graduation date: June 2012
- Master’s Degree in Journalism and Social Communication at the University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn, Poland.
Graduation date: June 2011
- Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Social Communication at the University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn, Poland.
Graduation date: June 2009
- Postgraduate study, “Pedagogical Study”, at BSSU & ABA and the University of Social Sciences in Lodz (October 2017 – December 2018)
- Postgraduate study, “Glottodidattica. Teaching Polish as a Foreign Language” at the University of Warsaw, Poland (October 2013 – June 2014)
- Fulbright Pre-academic Placement, Applied English Centre, the University of Kansas, Kansas, U.S. (June – August 2014)
Fulbright Junior Research Award 2014/2015, Creative Media and Digital Culture at Washington State University Vancouver, WA, U.S.
Workshops and courses
- UCLA Workshop on digital humanities infrastructure and cultural heritage modelling at the Helsinki Centre for Digital Humanities, the University of Helsinki (7-8 November 2018)
- “Embedding Openness to Science & Scholarship”, workshop on Open Science and Data Action Plan for Finnish Research Community, University of Helsinki (14 March 2018)
- “Put Your Head on a Blockchain” – Strategies for Employing Emergent Technologies for Business and Society, course organized by the Department of Management Studies, Aalto University (22 February 2018 – 12 April 2018)
- “Electronic Literature in the Digital Humanities: Research and Practice”, course at the Digital Humanities Summer Institute, University of Victoria, Canada (2-6 June 2014)
- Visiting researcher in English Department at the State University of New York at Stony Brook, U.S. Grant funded by University of Warmia and Mazury. Supervisor: Prof. Jean Elyse Graham (September 2015 – January 2016)
- Fulbright Junior Researcher in Electronic Literature Lab in Creative Media and Digital Culture at the Washington State University Vancouver WA, U.S. Supervisor: Prof. Dene Grigar (August 2014 – February 2015)
- Researcher in working group of “Digital Text. Issues of Semiotics, Semantics, and Digital Communication”, funded by National Science Centre in Krakow and conducted in the Institute of Polish Literature at University of Warsaw. The grant supervised by Prof. Ewa Szczesna (October 2012 – June 2015)
- Intercollegiate Scholarship “MOST” at the Institute of Polish Literature of University of Warsaw, Poland (October 2012 – June 2013)
- Graphical design for the Finland Center for Artificial Intelligence flagship application. Aalto University (May – June 2018)
- Teacher in primary education in the School Consultative Point at the Polish Embassy in Helsinki, Finland (September 2016 – August 2018)
- Teaching the course “Genres of Digital Literature” at the postgraduate study “Studies of Writing Techniques and Presentation of Literary Text” in the Institute of Polish Literature at University of Warsaw, Poland (February – June 2015)
- Teaching and Co-Run Classes in the Institute of Polish Literature at University of Warsaw, Poland (October 2012 – June 2013)
- Teaching in the Institute of Polish Philology at University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn, Poland (October 2011 – June 2015)
Other academic works
- Co-organizing “Open Science drop-in sessions” at the School of Arts, Design and Architecture of Aalto University. Two-day sessions related to open science, open data, research data management, and copyright issues. (30-31 October 2018)
- Member of the panel of Local Scientific Committee of Hybrid Labs Symposium 2018, hosted at Aalto University. Selecting final papers through a peer review (February -May 2018)
- Training researchers on research data management practices. I organized workshops on research data management at the Department of Media of Aalto University. The goal was to disseminate knowledge on RDM practices, including the use of DMPTuuli, metadata, licensing data, and digital repositories (April – May 2018)
- Co-organizing “Aalto Data Day” (25.05.2018) : advising on event programming, designing logo and ad, and giving a talk within a panel of data-agents of Aalto University (April – May 2018)
- Advising on preparation of the special guidelines of DMPTuuli (Data Management Planning Tool) for Art, Design & Architecture at Aalto University (March 2018)
- Designing and distributing research data management cheatsheet for ARTS (School of Art, Design & Architecture) at Aalto University (January – February 2018)
- U. Pawlicka, “Mapping the Humanities and Media Labs”, “DH Aalto” seminar in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Aalto University (07 February 2018)
- U. Pawlicka, “The Laboratory Turn in the Humanities”. The Department of Media, Aalto University (03 October 2017)
- U. Pawlicka, “Visualizing Electronic Literature Collections”. Digital Humanities Research Seminar at the Helsinki Centre for Digital Humanities, the University of Helsinki (10 February 2017)
- U. Pawlicka, “The Periodization of Theory of Electronic Literature”, the Creative Media and Digital Culture, Washington State University Vancouver WA, U.S. (4 February 2015)
Conference presentations (selected)
- U. Pawlicka, “The Emergence of Laboratories in the Humanities: Impetus, Implementation, and Impact”, the Society for the History of the Humanities’ Annual Meeting “The Making of the Humanities VI”, University of Oxford, Somerville College, UK. (28 – 30 September 2017)
- U. Pawlicka, “(Digital) Humanities Labs in Non-Western Contexts”, Global Digital Humanities Workshop, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland (29 – 30 May 2017)
- U. Pawlicka, “Bringing Categories From Science into Humanities Practice: The Implications for the Public Humanities”, the American Comparative Literature Association’s Annual Meeting, Harvard University, Cambridge, U.S. Seminar: ”Public Humanities in the Digital Age” (17 – 20 March 2016)
- U. Pawlicka, “Literary Margins and Non-Marginal Changes. Electronic Literature, Intermediation and Perceptual Changes”, International Conference “Literary Margins and Digital Media”, the Academia Europaea Knowledge Hub Wroclaw and the University of Wroclaw, Wroclaw, Poland (15 – 17 April 2015)
- U. Pawlicka, “Literature and New Media. Transdisciplinary Research”, Polish Congress of Language Teaching, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland (23 – 28 November 2013)
Scholarly publications (selected)
- U. Pawlicka-Deger, Laboratory: A New Space in Digital Humanities, in: Institutions, Infrastructures at the Interstices, ed. A. McGrail, et al., Univ of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis 2018. [in press]
- U. Pawlicka-Deger, Electronic Literature: Definition, History and Theories, in: Electronic Literature: Contexts, Forms, and Practices, ed. D. Grigar and J. O’Sullivan, Bloomsbury, London 2018. [in press]
- U. Pawlicka, Data, Collaboration, Laboratory: Bringing Concepts from Science into Humanities Practice, “English Studies” 98.5 (2017): 526-541. Doi: 10.1080/0013838X.2017.1332022.
- U. Pawlicka, Literatura cyfrowa. W stronę podejścia procesualnego [Electronic Literature: Towards Processual Approach], Katedra, Gdańsk 2017, p. 342.
- U. Pawlicka, Humanistyka: pracownia, centrum czy laboratorium? [The Humanities: Office, Centre or Laboratory?], “Teksty Drugie” 1 (2017): 314-333.
- U. Pawlicka, Visualizing Electronic Literature Collections, “CLCWeb: Comparative Literature and Culture” 18.1 (2016): http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/clcweb/vol18/iss1/3/.
- U. Pawlicka, Digital Literature. Current State of Research in Poland, “Teksty Drugie” 2 (2016): 242-261.
- U. Pawlicka, Towards a History of Electronic Literature, “CLCWeb: Comparative Literature and Culture” 16.5 (2014): http://dx.doi.org/10.7771/1481-4374.2619.
Guest-edited special issue of journals
Editing a special issue of “Digital Humanities Quarterly” on the topic of Lab and Slack. Situated Research Practices in Digital Humanities together with Dr. Mila Oiva from the Department of Cultural History at the University of Turku (2018/2019).
Digital literary art project Oczy tygrysa (Eyes of the Tiger). Adaptation of Formist Tytus Czyzewski’s poetry, 2012: http://ha.art.pl/czyzewski/. The project has been included in the Electronic Literature Collection vol. 3 (2016): http://collection.eliterature.org/3/work.html?work=oczy-tygrysa.
Mother Tongue: Polish
Other Language: English (fluent), German (beginner), Turkish (beginner)
Microsoft Office, Google Docs, PowerPoint, Prezi, Déjà Vu X2, HTML, WordPress
Interests and activities
Digital media, digital humanities, open science, contemporary literature, feminism, politics, higher education, Turkish language, landscape photography, travelling